Red LED Skin Rejuvenation
As we all age, our skin naturally loses some of its elasticity as the level of collagen slowly reduces in our bodies. Our skin also tends to become significantly thinner and drier as it loses the ability to retain moisture and as the general body regeneration processes become more sluggish. This aging process is unavoidable and can be further exaggerated by certain environmental factors that are harmful to the skin such as the UV rays from sunlight.
A relatively new technique for helping to reverse aging of the skin is Advanced Light Phototherapy (the use of light as a therapy). Despite being a new method, it has been the subject of many studies and has a proven track record in skin rejuvenation. For example, a carefully reviewed study* performed in 2005 that used very objective, scientific measurements elucidated that 52% of subjects showed a 25%-50% improvement in photoaging scores by week 12 and 81% of subjects reported a significant improvement in periorbital wrinkles (wrinkles around the eyes) on completion of follow-up.
Red LED Skin Rejuvenation
Red light is particularly effective for this type of therapy as it can penetrate the skin. Most commonly Red LEDs are used that emit light at a wavelength of 620-625nm; such light can travel up to 9mm into the skin. The light stimulates cells called fibroblasts causing them to produce higher levels of collagen and also increases elastin levels in the skin. This results in skin re-gaining greater elasticity in addition to it plumping up and becoming firmer. This in turn significantly reduces both the number and appearance of fine lines and wrinkles in the skin.
Red light also has the ability to stimulate repair of damaged skin and thereby reverse the effects of sun damage, reduce redness of the skin and lessen the appearance of stretch marks.
The main benefits of using red LEDs as a treatment to rejuvenate skin are that it:
- Naturally stimulates both collagen and elastin production
- Diminishes lines and wrinkles
- Shrinks skin pore size
- Improves skin tone and texture
- Increases blood circulation to the skin
- Reduces skin redness
- Repairs sun damage
- Increases skin hydration
- Is non-invasive and totally painless
- Has no side effects or downtime following treatment
- Does not cause damage to any tissue below the skin
- Is a relaxing and calming experience
- Is compatible with existing skin rejuvenation techniques such as BotoxTM, IPLs, laser resurfacing and cosmetic surgery such as blepharoplasty and breast reduction or augmentation
For more information about using red LEDs to rejuvenate skin, contact John at Totally Lipo: 01280 706883, firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our Contact Form.
* Russell, BA. et al J. Cosmet. Laser Ther. 2005 Dec; 7(3-4):196-200
TotallyLipo – Laser Lipo – Skin Rejuvenation – Body Sculpting – Weight Loss – Laser Lipolysis